Russian nationals were among those killed in a deadly terrorist attack at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, Australia, the Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed on Monday. The assault, which occurred during a Hanukkah celebration organized by the local Jewish community, left at least 15 people dead and more than two dozen injured, shocking Australia and drawing international condemnation.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova stated that the casualties included Russian nationals and permanent Australian residents, although specific numbers and identities were not disclosed.
“We steadfastly stand for an uncompromising fight against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” Zakharova said, offering condolences to the families of the victims and calling for unified global action against extremist violence.
Australian authorities have identified the suspects as Sajid Akram and his son, Naveed Akram. Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack, citing evidence that the perpetrators had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS). The black flag associated with the extremist group was reportedly found in a vehicle linked to the attackers, along with improvised explosive devices.
According to police, Sajid Akram was killed during a firefight with officers at the scene, while Naveed Akram was taken into custody in critical condition. Investigators recovered six registered firearms belonging to the older suspect, including long arms believed to be a rifle and a shotgun. Additional weapons were seized during a subsequent raid at a residence in Campsie, in Sydney’s southwest.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed that Naveed Akram had previously come to the attention of Australian security services.
“He was examined on the basis of being associated with others and the assessment was made that there was no indication of any ongoing threat,” Albanese said, adding later that there was “no evidence that these people were part of a cell.”
The attack has intensified scrutiny of extremist threats in Australia and renewed calls for stronger international cooperation on counterterrorism, particularly as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding one of the country’s deadliest recent attacks.



